A Pastor's Job
This morning I taught the catechism lesson on the public use of the keys, which focuses mainly on the work of the pastor. This picture is one of the slides I used as a discussion question. I asked them to agree or disagree with this statement: "A pastor's job is to run the congregation."I've read articles (written by pastors and lay persons) that suggest that a pastor should think of himself as the C.E.O. of the congregation, or think of himself as the coach of the team. Their job is to set the vision or motivate the people in the way these other leaders do. There is something to those ideas, but I've always been more influenced by the pictures for spiritual leadership in the Bible, especially that of shepherd, or pastor. The Bible's imagery in this area is so rich that one can't help but appreciate God's loving care for his people through the people he has appointed as pastors (1 Peter 5:2; Acts 20:28). Pastors feed, protect, and lead the flock. He cares for each member of the flock individually (Luke 15). He is especially concerned with those that have young (Isaiah 40).
Even though a pastor wears many hats in his congregation, I think it's important that he always remember what his primary job is. It is to serve the flock with the gospel. It is the use of the keys, in Word and Sacrament. Everything else is really secondary. Everything else just serves to get to that point. That's the goal of evangelism, right? Ultimately we want to serve others with the gospel. So much administrative work is really about making sure that no person or area of ministry falls through the cracks. That's what our school, Sunday School, Bible classes are all about. Our facilities and their maintenance and our future plans all have this goal in mind, that in the end we want to serve people with the gospel.
There's a german word that has long been used to describe the work of a pastor: Seelsorge, or the care of souls. That's what a pastor is, one who cares for souls. He shows that care through the gospel. What a joy! What a privilege!

<< Home